Thursday, April 21, 2011

I have blood in my stool and am wondering if a colonoscopy must be performed?


Burchard

About a month ago I went to the ER for abdominal pain that turned out to be a kidney infection, urinary tract infection and a kidney stone. While in the ER, I had an enema that injected fluids throughout my rectum. About a week after being in the ER, I noticed blood clot looking things in my blood. Over the next few weeks, there would be blood in my stool every so often, but I was naive and didn't really realize it was blood until recently. A couple nights ago I looked at my stool and really started noticing blood. I went to the doctor today and he did a couple tests, one of which he used his fingers to feel around my rectum. I had a blood test done as well. The doctor didn't have any conclusive diagnosis because he was unable to use a large tool that would allow him to look into the rectum. I am having that done within the next couple days.My questions are:Will a colonoscopy have to be completed even if they find out its just hemorrhoids? - My mom had a benign bump on her colon that was found through a colonoscopy and my sister had a colonoscopy done when she had similar symptoms to mine that ended up being hemorrhoids and she was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. If I do have to have a colonoscopy, how long will my down time be?What is the treatment for hemorrhoids? I've never had any before.



Hopewell

I was told by my doctor that hemorrhoids are formed when your diet does not have enough fiber, thus you have a hard time going to the bathroom.. From my experience, that was more than enough to get me to eat more vegetables and fruits everyday.. Have you been having a hard time going to the bathroom lately?Just like you, I had blood in my stool and I did a colonoscopy.. And sure enough, it was hemorrhoids.. They took cells from my intestines too, just to make sure there was no underlying problem like cancer..Colonoscopy happens in just a few hours, usually they'd want you to stop eating by 5pm the day before you go for your colonscopy.. I was given some laxatives to wash out my system to make sure everything was clean and that was the worst part of it all.. Other than that, having a camera stuck into your butt isn't painful when you're knocked out.. Hehehe!The doctor would usually prescribe some antibiotics for your hemorrhoids and some stool softeners and then you're good to go.. And remember, eat more vegetables and fruits, that helps.. Or you can take Benefiber, they sell them at major grocery stores..



Dewey Beach

I'm no doctor but for Hemorrhoids you might wanna go to cvs and pick up some Preparation H. I am not speaking off experience I just always hear the commercial advertised for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment