Friday, April 15, 2011

Does my fish have hemorrhoids?


D'Iberville

One of my freshwater fish looks like he has hemorrhoids. There is a long white strand protruding from his anus. This happened once before, and I put "parasite clear" in the water. That cleared it up, but now about a month later he has it again. I did the same treatment, but it didn't work. He's swimming around and eating normally, but he has this tubular white piece of something hanging out of his butt. Any ideas on what this is or how to cure it?



Oceanside

Not hemorrhoids, it's most likely just poop your seeing. White poop can be a sign of constipation, internal parasites, or internal bacterial infection. First what I would do is try to treat for constipation and see if that helps. Feed a pea split open for 3 days, nothing else. Then incorporate a pea into it's feeding schedule, at least once or twice a week. Also, vary up the diet during the week as well. Feed different foods, frozen/thawed out bloodworms, brine shrimp, spirulina flakes, veggie crisps, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, if it's a larger fish-cut up beefheart, cut up pieces of shrimp, fish fillets, crab meat, tuna, etc.If the pea doesn't help, and it still comes out white colored, then I would go to a medicated food. Since it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between internal parasites or bacteria, I would feed both of those types of food for a week. Jungle Labs made both an antiparasite and antibacterial food, not sure if they still do. Think it was about 4.00 for each one. Or, you could make your own. Soak some food(I like to use frozen bloodworms) in a bowl with a small amount of tank water and the meds. I use tetracycline for the antibiotic and some praziquantel and/or metronidazole for the parasites.Good luck!.



Occoquan

Hemorrhoids are not unique to humans, cats,dogs and horses also get hemorrhoids.But fish, I have never heard about it.I have found a useful site about hemorrhoids. If you want to know more you can check this out:.www.hemorrhoidshemroids.com/index…


No comments:

Post a Comment