Saturday, April 9, 2011

What to expect when visiting a doctor for hemorrhoids?


Meadow Glade

Ok, this is a serious issue, mature responses only.I'm a 22 year old female who has suffered from occasional episodes of hemorrhoids for about two years. In the past year, it has happen over 3 times, and it's becoming a nuisance and embarrassment because I am sexually active. I've tried all OTC ointments, wipes, eating more fiber, sitz baths, with little results. I just want it to go away.So I scheduled an appointment with a gastroenterologist. I don't know if I'm wasting my time though, because my ideal treatment would be laser or some sort of immediate removal, and that's only the case with severe situations. Mine is only mild, but it persists for weeks and I just can't take it anymore.So my question is, what should I expect from this visit? I'm sure the doctor will take a look at it, but is the first visit always just a consultation? I'm leaving a week later for vacation, I want him to take care of this thing now!!!!



Hurtsboro

Oh God I remember my first time I had blood on the toilet paper I about had a panic attack and thought I was dying of butt cancer! I went to a doc,a butt doc called a proctologist. Oh my God!!!Just seeing the table shape in the office told me this was gonna be VERY embarrassing.You have to lye down and your butt sticks out! No kidding. I wanted to crawl up and die.He found nothing wrong but a simple fissure, which I didn't know about at the time that they are common. But a gastro dude will just have you lie on your side and put one knee way forward and the other one straight, kinda like how when getting a waxing if you have any hairs in the butt crack region. Oops too much info there!!!LOL Or he may have to have you scrunch up in a ball with your back on top so your butt and feet are in his face basically if he has to start any actual removal by laser etc. I have to tell you what he told me though, it's too funny not to share: He asked me if I had difficulties with pooping and I said no, but I do take fiber pills as a diet aid and have since I was 18.Well he told me my anus was way too small and actually said "You poop outta that tiny thing?"He drew a picture of how I could have a sphincterotomy if I ever felt the need, and the medical drawing had the anus already on the sheet and he just drew the places where he would cut to make my anus bigger!Oh MY GOD!!! I ended up telling this story to my co-workers to get a laugh and they did not believe me until I showed them the picture! Then I got the most hysterical laughs of my life. This was like 15 years ago, but I still keep the drawing in case no one believes my story!I told it to my husband and said "Here is why I will never have anal sex!!!" I'd need a sphincterotomy first, so forget it! I had to share that. It's been so long since I've got to tell that story and it's so funny because it is TRUE!!!Just keep remembering, they do this every day. They do this every day. They do this every day.



Vining

My first exam was about 30yrs ago and I had to take an enema one hour before my appointment. A complete exam consists of an internal exam as well as a external. Most of the time they can treat this right in the office. Good luck.



English

On my first visits, I had one that was bad enough he lanced it right there on the spot....Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment